The newly introduced Safety Shield 360 suite, under the umbrella of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, contains Nissan’s most advanced safety and driver-assist technologies to date. As its name suggests, Safety Shield 360 offers full 360-degree monitoring via 6 front, side, and rear sensors and cameras.
First things first – what wonders of modern technology are included in Nissan Safety Shield 360?
- High Beam Assist – Sensors monitor for other vehicles on the road, then switch between low and high beam headlights automatically.
- Lane Departure Warning – Visual and audible warnings alert drivers when they’re drifting between lanes.
- Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection – A forward-facing camera and radar system monitors traffic conditions for signs of crossing pedestrians and cyclists; warnings are sent to the driver and brakes are automatically applied to avoid collisions.
- Blind Spot Warning – Tracks vehicles in the driver’s blind spots and alerts the driver to dangers before attempting to merge into an obstructed lane.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – When reversing, side-facing sensors track approaching vehicles and alert the driver of potential collisions; this has the potential to reduce such collisions by up to 42%.
- Rear Automatic Braking – Automatically applies brakes when a collision with an object is imminent; this may help reduce rear-end crashes by up to 78%.
According to Denis Le Vot, Chairman of Nissan NA, Safety Shield 360 and its 6 game-changing features have already rolled out to select Nissan models, with more on the way. In fact, Safety Shield 360 is set to become standard on all new Nissans by 2021, which would represent over 1 million Nissan vehicles sold annually.
Which new Nissan models come standard with Safety Shield?
Currently, Nissan’s Safety Shield 360 suite is standard on these 2019 Nissan vehicles:
- 2019 Nissan Altima (SV, SL, Platinum & special trims)
- 2019 Nissan Rogue (SV and SL trims)
- 2019 Nissan Murano (Platinum trim)
All ’19 models with Safety Shield are available for lease and sale at our Birmingham Nissan dealership.
The following 2020 Nissan models will also come standard with Safety Shield:
- 2020 Nissan Versa
- 2020 Nissan Rogue Sport
What other Nissan safety features are available?
In addition to standard Safety Shield 360 suite, the following features are either currently or will be available on most new Nissan models:
- ProPILOT Assist – This semi-autonomous feature simplifies driving by reducing the amount of necessary driver input when accelerating, braking, and steering in certain traffic conditions.
- Intelligent Around View Monitor – Offers bird’s-eye views above the vehicle to ensure drivers aren’t dinging or denting what they’re not supposed to be dinging or denting.
- Intelligent Cruise Control – Maintain more than just speed with ICC. Drivers can set a distance between the vehicle in front of them, and Intelligent Cruise Control will adjust speeds in response to traffic.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System with PSI Readouts – With Nissan’s TPMS, drivers will never have to wonder which tire needs to be filled up. This system provides individual PSI readings for each tire.
- Traffic Sign Recognition – Available on select new Nissan models, TSR identifies signs and sends current speed limits straight to the information cluster.
- Intelligent Driver Alertness – Monitors steering patterns for signs of inattentiveness (aka drowsiness) and alerts drivers that it’s time to catch some shut-eye – in a bed, not behind the wheel.
Want to learn more about Nissan Safety Shield, ProPILOT assist, or any other piece of Nissan technology? Contact Jim Burke Nissan at (205) 588-6287 to speak with a member of our sales team. We’d be happy to walk you through how each Nissan car or SUV feature works. Or simply visit our Birmingham Nissan dealership at 1300 3rd Ave N to peruse our showroom and test out the latest 2019 Nissan models.
Sources & Photos: