If you asked your teen to choose their preferred car going into the school year, they probably wouldn’t go with a used Nissan. Instead, they’d pick something stylish and sporty, like the legendary Nissan GT-R sports coupe or new a new Maxima. Of course, they’re great cars – for experienced drivers. But when it comes to choosing the right vehicle for your 16-year-old high-schooler, style and sporty enthusiasm are the last things on your must-have list. (It’s a good thing you’re in charge, huh?)
As a parent, you seek safety, dependability, and great value when buying your teen’s first car. That’s why shopping “used” is the way to go. Here are 3 of the best, most affordable pre-owned Nissan vehicles to help your teenager get through high school.
Pre-Owned Nissan Altima
Recognized as perhaps the most affordable, used mid-size car in the country, the Nissan Altima is quiet, spacious, and safe. There are numerous reasons to buy your high-schooler a used Altima, including the following list of pros:
- Good safety grades – The Nissan Altima has earned an IIHS Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+ award every year since 2012. Let’s look at our case in point: the ‘14 Altima. Range-topping 2014 Nissan Altimas include a rearview camera, blind-spot alerts, lane-departure warnings, and brake assist. Above all else, safety is the Altima’s strongest selling point.
- Nice performance – With a late-model Altima, your teen (hopefully) won’t be treating I-65 like it’s the Nürburgring, but that’s not for lack of trying. A 2014 Altima, to continue our example, features an award-winning CVT and optional 3.5L V6 that makes up to 270 horsepower.
- Competitive fuel economy – Expect recent pre-owned Altima models, fitted with the standard 2.5L 4-cylinder, to return at least 27 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway.
- Cool enough for teens – These older Altima models were stylistically and technologically ahead of their time. Late-model Altima cars include Bluetooth, push-button start, heated front seats, advanced Bose audio systems, wide touchscreen displays, and a polished yet sporty exterior. As far as used midsize cars go, a pre-owned Nissan Altima is all the rage… or however kids say “cool” these days.
With ample seating for your teen and 4 BFFs, a pre-owned Nissan Altima should certainly be on your short list this back-to-school season. Browse our selection of used Nissan Altima sedans on sale near Hoover to get started.
Pre-Owned Nissan Murano
Ranking at the top of the used midsize crossover class, the Nissan Murano is one of the best small SUVs for teens and newer drivers. It’s both affordable (in price) and rich (in tech), meaning it’s the perfect used SUV to help your teen transition from high school to college.
- Unrivaled comfort – Beginning with the last-generation Murano, Nissan engineers emphasized interior comfort. The 2015-2016 Murano, which was named the Best 2-Row SUV for the Money by U.S. News, boasts ample front-to-back seating, leather upholstery, power-adjustable and heated front seats, nearly 70 feet of cargo space, a panoramic sunroof, and a handful of additional driver-centric niceties.
- Luxurious tech – The times have a-changed, and so too did the Murano with its last redesign in 2015. The 2016 Murano, for instance, was the first in its line to feature USB ports, an 11-speaker sound system, an 8-inch touchscreen, and safety features like blind-spot monitoring, 360-degree parking camera, rear cross-traffic assist, adaptive cruise control, and forward-collision warning.
- Great overall value – The cost of ownership for a used Murano is quite low; according to U.S. News & World Report, the ’16 Murano has a 5-year ownership cost of under $4,800 per year (fuel, insurance, maintenance, and repairs). Ownership costs have dipped in recent years, too, so expect you and your teen to pay less for maintenance and insurance.
A used Nissan Murano is so good, you may find yourself borrowing it from your teen. (Just be back by curfew!) Take a look at our current inventory of used Nissan Murano SUVs for sale in Birmingham.
Pre-Owned Nissan Versa
One of the best-selling subcompacts in America, the Nissan Versa is a great car for teenagers in high school (and their parents).
- Budget-friendly price – You can frequently find used Nissan Versas for under $10,000, which is music to the ears of parents everywhere.
- Surprisingly spacious – No matter the model year, a used Versa outshines most class competitors when it comes to passenger volume. A pre-owned 2011 Versa, for instance, comes with more than 94 cubic feet of space and 5 comfortable seats.
- Great cargo room – In hatchback form, an ’11 Versa offers between 17.8 and 50.4 cubic feet of cargo space.
- Above-average MPG – Although small in stature, used Versa sedans make up the difference in the fuel-economy department; a 2011 Versa will return up to 34 mpg on the highway.
Base-level standard features aren’t exactly abundant in older Versas. The team at our Birmingham Nissan dealership recommends upgrading to one of the higher Versa trim levels or installing optional features and OEM Nissan accessories; that way your teenager can gain access to Bluetooth, navigation, HD satellite radio, USB charging ports, and several Nissan safety systems.
Ready to buy your teen a used Nissan Versa? Check out our current selection of pre-owned Versa cars for sale in Birmingham and get today’s best price.
Jim Burke Nissan: Where The Sale Never Ends
Give your teenager the keys to a vehicle that they can rely on. Head to our Birmingham used Nissan dealership at 1300 3rd Ave N to find deals on pre-owned Nissan vehicles like the Altima, Murano, Versa, or Nissan Juke. To schedule a test drive before the start of high school, contact our used car sales team at (205) 588-6287.
Sources & Photos: