Nissan made a big splash at the 2019 CES in Las Vegas, debuting their all-new ‘19 LEAF Plus electric car for all the world to ogle over. Sporting a bit of sub-compact crossover exterior styling combined with the original LEAF’s hatchback tail, plus a few flourishes of EV-like accents, the upcoming LEAF Plus is quite the looker. But how does it compare in the “functionality” category?
The short, TL;DR details: It’s more powerful than the last LEAF, charges more quickly, and can travel farther on a single charge.
The longer version:
- The new LEAF Plus incorporates a large 62-kWh battery pack that’s only 5mm wider and bulkier than the outgoing LEAF model’s 40-kWh powerplant.
- The battery works with a 160-kW electric motor that churns out 214 horsepower and 251 lb.-ft. of instant torque. (This is compared to the previous-gen LEAF’s 110-kW 147-hp motor.)
- With an estimated 226-mile single-charge range, the 2019 LEAF Plus can rip and roar approximately 40% longer than the outgoing model.
- An upgraded CHAdeMO charging system will allow the Nissan LEAF Plus to power up to 80% with any 100kW charging stations, public or at-home.
- Nissan’s Battery Management System has been refined to enhance charging and acceleration.
- A recalibrated e-Pedal helps compensate for the few extra pounds the new LEAD Plus will carry.
- 2019 LEAF Plus models will come with a larger 8.0-inch touchscreen display, smartphone compatibility, NissanConnect EV & Services, ProPILOT Assist, and the suite of Nissan Intelligent Mobility systems.
The 2019 LEAF Plus will also carry over its 8-year/100,000-mile Lithium-Ion Battery Coverage plan. If you’re a fan of zero emissions and a hater of gas stations, Nissan’s new electric car is right up your alley, so to speak. Come take it for a test drive once it arrives at our Birmingham Nissan dealership later this spring.Continue reading “Nissan Electric! (Boogie Woogie Woogie)”